Saturday, February 21, 2009

I am always amazed at how personal our God is. The past two weeks I have seen God at Work several times and I just have to share it with you.

God At Work #1:
"So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes." Daniel 9:3

I have been studying the book of Daniel this school year in my lunch hour Bible study group. Last week was specifically about Daniel Chapter 9, in which Daniel cries out to God in prayer for the his people. The lesson I was working on really spoke to me personally, because I am typically a "go-go-go" type of person. I LOVE to be busy and have a very hard time slowing down. When I do slow down, it is usually to read or be on the computer. I know that God was specifically speaking to me as I read about Daniel and his prayer life. I know that God wants me to be in His Word, reading and listening for Him and then speaking back to Him in prayer. I also know He wants me to be still in Him, too. VERY HARD for me!!

So, last Saturday, I did my lesson on Daniel 9 and prayer. Sunday night, I opened the church bulletin to see what the sermon title was....it was Daniel 9!! The following day, on my way to work, I turned on Family Christian Radio...and again, the topic was prayer. Wow!!! Some people would believe this is all "chance" or "coincidence"....but for believers, we know that our God is a personal God and this is the way He speaks to us. It humbles me to know that if I am in His Word, He will speak personally, to me!! How cool is that?? I know God wants to talk to me all of the time, but because of my self-centeredness I don't always take the time to really listen.

God At Work #2:
On Wednesday night, as I was praying with Caleb and tucking him into bed, we had such an awesome little conversation...it went like this:

C: "Mom, I prayed the prayer with Aaron at school today."
G: "Really? That's awesome, tell me about it."
C: "Well, I asked Aaron if he knew that there is only one way to get to heaven. He
said, "yes". I asked him if he said the payer to ask Jesus to be the leader of his
life and he said, "no". So, I asked him if he wanted me to pray it with him and I
did. Because, mom, I really like Aaron and I want to see him in heaven."

Wow!! If we, as adults, could have that "childlike faith", how simple it would be! Instead, we try to complicate things so much...with our minds and the world, that we can't just rest in the knowledge that "our God is BIG...and can do anything"...we don't need to understand it all...or we wouldn't have a need for Him. We just need to give our lives to him and rest in that. Out of the mouths of babes!

God At Work #3:
I had a haircut and color yesterday. It seems like whenever I get my hair done, the topic of "religion" comes up. I think some of this is because in everyday conversation, I usually have something to say about my church, or a book I am reading, a movie I've seen, etc...and it often has something to do with my faith. So, we were chatting about what we were doing this weekend and I mentioned something about having to serve pizza at church on Sunday. This lead to a discussion about churches. My stylist and her boyfriend are trying to find a church home. Well, as the discussion continued one of the things she said was "Well, everyone is entitled to worship the way they want and what really matters is that you're a good person". BOOM....door opened!! Thanks God!! I just got quiet, b/c I wasn't sure the words I should say about this. So, after a few minutes of quiet....BOOM...she asked me "How did your husband and you get to the point in your faith that you are?" WIDE OPEN DOOR!!! So, I was able to tell her my story...but I was still trying to figure out a way to tell her how to "receive the gift". BOOM....I told Caleb's story (see #2)...with a few extra details, about how heaven is a real place, how we are all sinful and no one can be "good enough" to go to heaven or to be in God's presence b/c He is such a Holy God, how Jesus is the only way for us to get to heaven, but that we need to pray and ask Him to be the leader of our life."

What an awesome week of God sightings!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this blog with me, it is truly special and amazing. KH